Sunday, June 03, 2007

Some observations


A few quick movie reviews I didn't have time to make while on vacation:

Pirates of the Caribbean is a terrible, meandering pile of crap. With the possible exception of Johnny Depp's performance, all of the likeable aspects of the first film--missing since the second movie--were completely absent here. The plot was over-wrought, folding in on itself, in a cerebral, lengthy film that was nowhere near as fun as the original. I'm just curious how a film that relies on the suspension of disbelief (pirate ghosts, Davey Jones, etc...), can still have me rolling my eyes thinking, "bull crap... that can't happen." Jerry Bruckheimer has created a monster.

Knocked Up:

This was a pleasant surprise from Judd Apatow, who is at the center of the vortex of that emerging genre of coming-of-age movies for people in their 20s and 30s. This movie featured all of the best qualities displayed in his earlier efford, "The 40-year-old Virgin," while tightening the balance between crude and sweet. With prosthetic vaginas and loads of swearing, it's a solid R movie, but with quick dialogue, oddly realistic situations, and an improvisational style which shows the actors having a great time (thus drawing in the audience to laugh even harder), this was the best comedy of the year. Judd Apatow is solidifying his presence in Hollywood, even without a chest waxing scene.


Also,

Rest in peace, mister Charles Nelson Reilly.

Also,

Amy Winehouse has an amazing voice. She's pretty gross, and her lyrics are stupid, but her voice is phenomenal.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dayray said...

The movie was good. I liked it, minus the vagina part (yuck).

Amy Winehouse is a strange lady.

8:24 PM  
Blogger Tom said...

Knocked Up is much more like Judd Apatow's earlier TV work: "Freaks and Geeks" and "Undeclared". Both fantastic shows that find hilarity through the unbearable awkwardness of being. Far better than his other movies (Cable Guy, Liar Liar, and 40 Year Old Virgin - all good, but not on the same level).

8:24 PM  
Blogger Myke said...

Yes! I used to love "Undeclared," and I never got a chance to see "Freaks and Geeks" but I always wanted to.

Tom-ass, I just bought a couple of amazing bottles of wine, and I'm trying to think of the best one to bring up with me (Dara says I shouldn't bring any. Poor sport!)

11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home