Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Take two Xanax and call me in the morning

Today I had my first doctor appointment in years, and I'll spare you the dirty details, but it looks like I have some work ahead of me. A small list of issues I must attend to:

-I may have an epigastric hernia, which could potentially require surgery.
-I may have diabetes.
-I may have high blood pressure and,
-I may be overweight.

Okay, those last two are closer to definitely than maybe, and I'm staring down the barrel of a battery of tests, but I'm optimistic that things will work out, and that this will be the motivation I need to change my life around. I said I wouldn't get into the gory details, but believe me, I haven't. You missed all the best parts. But after I go in for a more thorough check-up one week from today, I will give you a detailed play-by-play with medical charts and a rough video reenactment.

I addition to all these issues, I also had the kind doctor issue me a prescription to take the edge off of my anxiety when I fly. I'm not a fan of medicating one's problems away, but even knowing I have the bottle makes me fear my next trip a little less.

So how did I react to this news? Dara and I took a trip to Lucille's B-B-Q and I got me some BBQ chicken, with no fries and veggies. Not a bad start. Day two will be better, but as Jon Brion always sings, "you've gotta start somewhere."

4 Comments:

Blogger Dayray said...

Two gusher packages after, and I'm feeling good ;)
I hope you do better on this diet than I do!

2:13 PM  
Blogger Cherbear said...

Hey bro, sorry to hear that you have med probs, but glad to hear that you are taking care of yourself.

3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Years ago, Papa never wanted to fly anywhere. I'm sure it was a carry over from his days in the Royal Air Force, when planes literally were put together with spit and polish. I used to tell him that there was no way I could turn our car into an amphibian vessel to cross the Atlantic.
When Papa was diagnosed with diabetes, at a much older age--he was 65--we spent much time with a nutritionist, learning what foods to avoid, healthier ways of cooking, etc. Much has changed since that time. The important thing is that Papa has never cheated on what he is allowed to have, or more importantly NOT have. He never was a big beer drinker, but that became a NO NO. The only beers he did enjoy were the imported ones, like Heineken. Just take care of yourself, and listen to the doctor and your wife.
Love and K
Nana and Papa

10:34 AM  
Blogger Myke said...

Thanks for the advice, Nana L.

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home