Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Accidents will happen



Today, while Dara and I were getting our mail, we heard a terrible screech and we waited for the inevitable thud. The sound was truly sickening and we ran towards the entrance of our apartment complex. Visitors of our apartment complex will tell you that leaving the Heritage Place "Luxury Apartment Homes" is a dangerous undertaking. The entrance to our parking area is on a fast road with a sharp bend. I take my life in my hands every time I leave the place. I'm not joking. Today's accident was the third accident I've seen at that entrance, and we haven't even lived here for a year.

Anyway, we ran towards the car and I had my phone in my hand as I dialed 911. I was shocked to find out that 911 had a touch-tone service. I had to listen to options and dial a number before I got to a person. When I got a person on the phone, we rounded the corner and finally had a visual for what was going on. There was a single pickup truck which had run into the entrance gates, and had just burst into flames while gawkers stupidly crowded around the truck. I screamed for everyone to get away while I spoke with the 911 operator. I was surprised how long it took for the fire department to arrive, considering how close the nearest fire station is.

The driver and passenger were out of the car, with the female passenger laying on the ground. The male driver ran away (ostensibly to his apartment to get something, but as we all know, you don't leave the scene of an accident).

We tried to stay to see if they would arrest the driver but we became impatient and left. Incidentally, the pictures I'm showing are from two different incidents where drivers crashed into our apartment (making this latest one at least the fourth time it has happened).

And that's my story.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cherbear said...

Hopefully everyone was ok! Continue to stay cautious whenever you're leaving eh!!! Thankfully it won't be long before you're in a nice new place without that horrible turn.....and more parking.

8:10 AM  
Blogger LTA said...

Mike, try not to get road rage during your driver's test. You can get some big deductions for that.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Myke said...

Lar,

If only I had read your advice before I punched the driving officer in the face. Boy was she mad! That's why I'm writing this from prison. I guess I'll be late for work.

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home