Thursday, August 17, 2006

Let he who is without sin... or something of that nature.

The bizarre thing about modern partisanship is how often it is lamented on both sides. One would think that, if both sides hated fighting so much and wanted to make steps towards some kind of unity, then they would stop the damn fighting. Find common ground then, damn-it! Democrats could read that statement and think, “yeah, filthy Republicans: compromise!” Republicans could read that statement and think, “yeah, filthy Democrats: find common ground!”

The frustrating thing about the politics of division runs twofold:

1) Propaganda machines on both sides of the debate are effective in churning out new automatons each day who robotically tow the party line. The intelligent members of any community should be ashamed of any missed opportunity to question a party’s established beliefs, just because they mesh well, and are comfortable for said members. Throw away your party book, which produces eerily consistent ideologies between members on both sides. People have mocked me for my left-of-center approach to politics, and I end up laughing (or crying?) inside, because said people sound like they’re reading from a party book, instead of forming their own conclusions. (I have often said as much).

The second point requires a longer explanation.

2) The deteriorating presence of accountability in modern politics is a betrayal of the principles set forth by the principle architects of democracy. This relates to personal and national accountability. Instantly, people from opposing groups would read that sentence (hypothetically, if this blog had a readership over 1 person), and think, “yes, the other guy really needs to be accountable.” That kind of blame-shifting mentality prevents people on all levels from growing. The consequence of shining the light on oneself can only be positive.

I’m not talking about the politics of self-deprecation (an accusation that some of my friends would jokingly levy against Canada, I’m sure). I’m talking, instead, of asking the simple questions: what did I do wrong? Could I have done something to prevent this?

At risk of being excommunicated from the western world, allow me to reflect my theory on 9/11. The immediate response to 9/11 (besides hope against all odds, the unity of a community under attack and the like) was anger, revenge, retaliation. Rightfully so. Such a response is to be expected in the wake of that kind of horrific attack. (I am also fully aware that I’m writing this in the relative safety and comfort of my living room, never having experienced the horror on a fraction of the degree of a 9/11-scale atrocity, and no disrespect is intended.) But U.S. citizens who shone the light on America and asked, “what could we have done to prevent this?” are branded as unpatriotic, daring to impugn the infallibility of a nation under attack (worse than insulting a soldier for any reason). These kinds of questions are fair and important. A rational person would never ask, “did we deserve this?” No human deserves to be murdered, in any manner. Ever. But it is not a bad thing to try to learn from an event like 9/11. Punish the perpetrator, yes, but also learn.

An analogy of a father and son comes to mind, where the son is caught stealing and the father has to deal with the fallout. The father would rightfully punish the child, all the while asking himself, “could I have raised him better?” Thus, it would inform the father’s child-rearing skills in the future.

There is no harm in learning from history. There is no danger in questioning your government leadership. Accountability is a core value of democracy. There is nothing wrong with thinking, “hey, maybe we did something to piss people off and sent them flying into our buildings.” Justifiable action? No. But 19 hijackers didn’t just wake up one morning and decide to fly missiles into the U.S. for no reason. There was a reason they chose the U.S., but few people want to explore the foreign policy cocktail (which dates back to WWI) that inspired these psychopaths to committ said acts. Again, the analogy is crude, but spank the child and also analyze your parenting techniques.

Question Iraq. It doesn’t make you unpatriotic. Quite the contrary. This goes for the “other side,” which could be interpreted as leftists or, as I intended it, the Muslim world, both radical and moderate, alike. Question the ethic of killing innocents, as it relates to the Qu’ran; as it relates to morality. Question your government, question the iconic terrorist leader. Run that question through your head: “is this the right thing to do?”

I understand the moral compass varies in different cultures, and there are degrees of cultural conditioning you have to overcome, but that’s what this post is about. It is an expression of frustration at those who never admit blame or question their actions. It is also an exhortation to initiate these practices on a personal and a national/cultural level.

It’s easy to yell past each other, when all you’re thinking about is how wrong the other side is. Once we realize that the other side is populated by human beings whose motivation is sometimes not that different from our own, it becomes easier to bridge that gap. The more we picture German soldiers impaling babies on a bayonet (a propaganda device used by the allies in both World Wars), the less human “they” become, and all of a sudden, it doesn’t feel like murder to kill a bunch of “them”. I think we can all agree, we need to make connections before we can move towards lasting peace, both within the western world, and between the west and the middle east.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Myke,

Good article. You are right where you say we should be questioning ourselves and others.

I disagree with you when you said ," because said people sound like they’re reading from a party book, instead of forming their own conclusions." Some people do actually do their homework and at times their homework will actually line up with the so called Party book. I actually have a harder time believing that there is actually a party book with the way parties swing from side to side to cater to vocal minorities.

Also with some people there is no common ground that would be exceptable to both sides, unless you are willing to take their side. Their side being so extreme and horrible that its hard to believe that people actually believe the garbage they spout forth. An example of this would be the Iranian President and those like him who live only for the total destruction of the Israelie state.

I think at times war makes sense because to live in peace would amount to a total surrender in what we believe.

1:58 PM  
Blogger LTA said...

Many thoughts come to mind, but I'm in a hurry right now (surprised?).

But, I was wondering what conclusions you have drawn from the arrest in Toronto earlier this year of 17 terrorist suspects? You know, the guys who ordered three tons of ammonium nitrate fertilizer?

Canadian journalist Rachel Marsden postulated,

"[Maybe it was] going to be used to grow a massive garden that would spell out 'I love Canada' in tulips."

I kinda doubt it.

The only thing I can think of is Afghanistan...and Gordon Lightfoot...and those damn mullet hairstyles ;=).

I'm curious to hear what you've come up with. I'll try to post some other thoughts later.

6:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Myke,

I share your feelings on the inability for sides to see their own weaknesses and to come to common ground. It seems people ought to judge each item and determine whether it's right or wrong rather than say "It's right-wing, therefore it's wrong" or "It's not Christian, therefore it's wrong." or "It's not Muslim, therefore it's wrong."

I recognize, of course, that it's rarely this black and white. The train of thought usually makes a few stops in between the "It's right-wing" station and the "therefore it's wrong" terminal, but ultimately, I think it is too often the case that the prescription of an ideology rather than the moral judgment of the issue drives the response. You need only have seen one episode of CNN's Crossfire to know what I mean.

I really think the movie Syriana does a nice job of zooming in on multiple angles and perspectives of the same issue. It may come up a little on one side versus the other in the end (I think it comes up pretty objectively even in the end, but one could argue differently), but early on in the movie, I think it does a nice job of portraying multiple perspectives with genuine objectivity.

Not to be too much of a pessimist, but I'm not sure that the issue of common ground and gridlock of ideologies will ever resolve itself because people draw comfort from routine and structure. As a result of that craving, most folks will assimilate with one ideology and rigidly cling to it - it's just our nature. As a result, we can be tremendously intolerant and never see past our own ideology to understand another let alone change our own views. It's a terribly difficult thing to do for any of us.

As for Larry's question regarding the conclusions you may have drawn about the 17 terrorist suspects that were arrested in Toronto, I'm not sure what you would have decided about that, but the conclusion I have drawn is that if they're guilty, they ought to be charged and imprisoned. There actually was an interesting case in which one of the 17 was swept along by virtue of association and really didn't have much involvement. It's interesting to see how one person who may be innocent is caught up in it all because "He must have known and been involved. How could he not?" Sort of reminds me of how they thought it had to be John Ramsey who killed his own daughter - how could it be anybody else? Today's arrest in Thailand makes one wonder about how easily and swiftly we assume an arrest equals guilt.

8:20 PM  
Blogger Myke said...

I'll go down the list, one-by-one:

Evert,

I'm totally fine with people who end up doing their homework, researching an issue, and still arriving at the same conclusions as their registered party- as long as they actually think about this issue, instead of letting the party do it for them. I'm sick of people who say, "Well, I agree with this party because of A and maybe B, so I'll just go along with C, D, E, F... right down to Z." That's not thinking for yourself, and it scares me that so many people out there do that.

I agree that many people will never find total common ground, but we should try to see the other side as often, and as clearly as possible. I'm left-of-center, so I tried to read books and expose myself to rightist ideology, just so I can relate to their arguments, and perhaps adopt a few of my own (in the process becoming more moderate each day, if such a thing is possible).

Larry,

I assume your reference to the 17 terrorist suspects in Canada is asking: 'what do they have against Canada, a nation that is uninvolved with the Iraq war, or the middle east in General? How can Canada question its responsibility in that situation?'

Ignoring Afghanistan for a moment, I think terrorists could hate Canada for our proximity to the U.S., or for a number of reasons. However, although I challenge people to never be complacent, and always analyze their place in the world, I do still think that people perpetuate horrific atrocities on others, which are completely unjustifiable (see: 9/11). Terrorists or no, it behooves Canada to constantly re-examine its identity and goals. Just because Canada isn't committing terrorist acts on others, doesn't mean there isn't some area (domestically or abroad) where Canada, or any other person or nation, can improve. I'm saying, if more people did this, perhaps there would be less blame-shifting and more self-reflection.

It's easy for Canada or the U.S. to rest on its laurels; to be proud of its human rights record, and thus become complacent. Let's not do the easy thing.

Imagine if Iran actually questioned the propaganda about Israel. Imagine if the middle easter Arabs surrounding Israel on all sides finally went, "you know what, we should stop this bullshit." Now imagine if everyone did that. Now, imagine there's no heaven/ it's easy if you try.... oops, wrong path there.

I know- it's a pipe dream. Still, I'm just saying, philosophically, if we all looked inward, conflict around the world would practically cease. But sadly, we would nearly all think, "sure, I can look inward, but Bob over in accounting, he's incapable." So the cycle continues.

Tom,

Herein lies the rub: "I think it is too often the case that the prescription of an ideology rather than the moral judgment of the issue drives the response." It also relates to Stephen Colbert's famously coined word: "Truthiness." When people act on their gut, which becomes the new kind of fact, it becomes dangerous.

Republicans criticized David Letterman months ago when he had Papa Bear O'Reilly on his show and, when talking about the war, Dave said, "It just feels wrong." Dave was no match, intellectually, for Bill O'Reilly, but Republicans criticized Dave for relying on his emotion, rather than the facts. Dave fell victim to "truthiness." But make no mistake: Republicans also fall prey to this go-with-you-gut/ make facts based on decisions, versus decisions based on facts mentality. They were, after all, the very inspiration of the word (to be fair, GW Bush was the true inspiration for truthiness). Again, if Republicans would have looked at themselves when Dave said "it just feels wrong," and stopped to think, "do I ever act upon my emotions that way?" they might have come up with the glaring truth (see: Iraq)

10:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Myke,

When I said "I think it is too often the case that the prescription of an ideology rather than the moral judgment of the issue drives the response," I didn't mean that moral judgment meant they should go by their "gut" or intuition alone. I just meant that they should make an evaluative, normative statement of whether something is right or wrong independent of what the party line dictates. It can involve research and can be well articulated, it doesn't need to be a purely emotional/intuitive response. I meant much more than a response that just says "It just feels wrong."

However, I think the correct response to "It just feels wrong," is not to say "that's a lame argument". The correct response, in my opinion, is something like, "Tell me what about it feels wrong? Tell me what specifically feels wrong? Tell me why you think it feels wrong? Do you think it could feel wrong, but be right?" If you approach it like that you're genuinely curious to understand why they disagree. To just say "that's a lame argument" is to say "You're in the wrong camp, buddy, and you've clearly lost this argument because you're reverting to emotion."

That's more what I was getting at.

5:31 AM  
Blogger Myke said...

Tom,

I think I got the jist of your statement, but I used it as a platform to talk about anything that diverts away from reasoned argument. Following the party handbook, as well as relying completely on emotion are two ways that people often avoid having to think about something, intellectually.

8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home