Sunday, August 06, 2006

Goodbye Uncle Laurence

Few good phone calls ever take place at 7:30 in the morning on a Sunday, and no good conversations ever start with the words, "I have some sad news to tell you." So it was today when my father-in-law informed me about the passing of Dara's dear Uncle Laurence. It is one of life's inevitabilities that the older you get, the fewer loved-ones there are around to love. But Dara and I aren't that old, and Laurence's passing feels like the beginning of a far-too-early sunset on a generation of people not ready for the twilight. Indeed, Laurence was only 55 years old; seemingly the picture of health. But whatever mysteries transpired to take Uncle Laurence from us, it is no mystery the quality of life he led, and the type of man he was--even to a distant nephew-in-law like me.

Although only officially my uncle-in-law, I felt a certain bond with Uncle Laurence over our mutual love of music, and instantly liked him and his family. As protective as families can be when a scruffy, bedraggled goy like me starts hanging around with the oldest of the grand kids, Laurence and his family saw past my earrings and bald head and immediately accepted me as family. I was the happy beneficiary of many fine meals, and was honoured to be a guest at several Passover Seders.

It was at these events where I learned what a connoisseur of fine food and jazz music Laurence was. He probably learned to cook his many exotic meals on his numerous treks across the globe. He beamed when he showed off his impressive CD collection, and would happily reminisce about a set at his favourite jazz club, or a Steely Dan show. Laurence loved life and it showed in his devotion to his family, his work, and his passion for the arts.

Rest in peace, Uncle Laurence. You will be missed.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dayray said...

Your words are so much better than mine. You captured Uncle L so well. He was a great man!

9:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Myke:
Dara gave me the address for your Blog, so here goes.
Laurence and Shira have always been two of the most welcoming people ever. And when Laurence would meet a kindred spirit who enjoyed his pursuits of music, and other interests, he was only too happy to share inspired conversations, and listen to nuances in musical phrasing, etc.
You, Myke, are listed in the obituary notice as one of his nieces and nephews, along with all the others.
You and Dara are with us in spirit and hearts, and we want only the best for you both.
Love
Nana and Papa

7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home