Wednesday, April 26, 2006

What happened to political retreat?

A favourite aphorism of my brother-in-law: there are two things I hate in life- intolerance and the Dutch. That’s how I feel when Americans get angry with me about how hostile Canada is towards the U.S. What am I supposed to do with these comments? I am no Canadian apologist, nor should I be; it needs no defending. Nations, and the individuals who inhabit them, have a right to be vocal in their opposition to another nation’s policies, especially if that nation acts unilaterally, without accountability. We should always welcome criticism of our leaders and government.

But to get mad at me because you heard a story in the newspaper about how much Canadians hate Americans; that’s unfair. I know for a fact that at least one in 30 million Canadians don’t feel that way, but here I am, learning about how much I hate Americans. It’s irritating and it’s unbefitting of any host to assail his/her guest with accusations like that. Canada and the U.S.- both great countries, with their own accomplishments and failures. Let’s just leave it that way.

I guess I just had a bad night.

7 Comments:

Blogger LTA said...

Although there have been times when I've been upset at its policies (as you have been with America's) when I tease you about Canada it is almost always in fun. Usually, it's light-hearted with the Saltis, too. Last night was a bit much, though, and it didn't really occur to me until toward the end when they wouldn't give it a rest.

For that, I apologize. I will be much more attentive to that kind of rudeness in the future.

I enjoy talking politics with you because you're smart and have an informed opinion. It's fun and hopefully we've made each other think in the process. Because I get to chat with you and/or blog about political issues I don't feel the need to press a point, like was done to you last night.

As I've said, I actually love Canadians (even married one!) and think Canada is a wonderful country. Our political differences are utterly insignificant in comparison to my love for you as a brother and a friend.

12:55 PM  
Blogger LTA said...

By the way, not all Canadian singers are bad. One of my favorites is a Canadian...Sarah McLachlan.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Dayray said...

In my opinion, some of the funniest people come out of Canada. I think they were just giving you a hard time because they are jealous :)

4:59 PM  
Blogger Myke said...

Thanks, Lar. That was a nice thing to say. I agree, it can be fun talking politics and ribbing each other about our differences, however minute. When it turns hostile, it becomes less fun, especially if one of the parties is especially tired (namely me). But it's also an opportunity to learn about the other side, which is why I'm (almost) always interested to talk with people who are different than me, politically, ethnically, etc...

I think when we turn ourselves off from outside influences, it can be destructive. But you and I have maintained an ebb and flow which has been a positive experience for me.

9:01 PM  
Blogger LTA said...

Yes! Canadian comedians are some of the best. Mike Myers and Jim Carrey are two of my favorites, and Mike listed off about a dozen other great ones.

One more thing, I think Donna would feel horrible if she knew she offended you, so I know her intent wasn't to be hostile. Eddie on the other hand...let's just say he likes to shoot his mouth off, no matter who he's speaking to.

9:37 AM  
Blogger Evert Heskes said...

I guess I'm really in bad with Larry. I'm a Canadian but born Dutch. Woe is me!

1:20 PM  
Blogger LTA said...

Nah, it's all good Evert. Love you, man. See you in a couple of weeks!

7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home