Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Happy Birthday Mom


In the absence of a Mother’s propinquity, a boy my age is forced to improvise, cuddling and finding motherly nurturing wherever he can; digging in trash cans for moral fortitude and bits of maternal guidance. You get by. But I’m getting a little sick of cuddling with that English midget, on loan from the government. Oh sure, he keeps the couch warm, and he’s got a cute accent, but it just doesn’t replace the friendship and love only a mother can give (sorry, Nigel).

That is why, with great happiness, I am pleased to announce to my ever-growing audience (2 people strong and growing everyday!) that my dearest mother, Sandra Heskes, and her hobbit-like husband, will be joining the growing entourage in Hawaii. Of this I am glad. Mom (and Evert) has had a really difficult time lately, (she should try cuddling with Nigel) and it warms my heart to see her happy, especially on her important day.

Today is the first day of the last year before my Mom turns 50. She will probably look at this event with alarm--or perhaps resignation, I’m not sure--but she should be proud of the years she’s collected and I hope she looks forward to the years she has left (if the robust genes of Grandma Mae say anything- there will be many). In the reckoning of my friends and colleagues, I still have the youngest mother around. So there.

Mom, you deserve a happy day, and I hope you had it. You are well-loved and very missed. We’ll see you soon. Happy Birthday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home