Friday, March 03, 2006

The MySpace Phenomena

It’s interesting to peruse the pages on MySpace to see what kinds of people like to put themselves out there. While most people I know use MySpace as a platform to network, to meet new people and to keep in touch with old friends, it seems the vast majority use the service as a stage for their own flattery. MySpace is the biggest success in the name of vanity since the mirror. Love me, rate me, worship and adore me, they beg, as they post photos of their nipples, their abs, their great hairdos; countless shots of allegedly disinterested girls and boys puckering up to the camera. They play hide-and-seek with the lens that they hope is going to propel into the arms of thousands of lovers who will shower them with compliments and pay them the kind of attention they’ve only dreamed their parents would give.

Another scary trend which isn’t necessarily caused by MySpace, but rather demonstrated by it, is the crop of princesses who are not only unashamed of their prissy nature, they actually revel in being a spoiled brat. These are the types of girls who have “Daddy’s little princess” bumper stickers; pink, glittery T-shirts bragging, “I’m a spoilt brat!” It’s that talk-to-the-hand, my-daddy-is-better-than-your-dad bullshit. They preen and prattle on about how important they are to the world. I can’t be too mad, though. They have to learn about the world sometime, and boy will it be an awakening.

MySpace is a good way to show me the kinds of people I am so glad I will never have to befriend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home