Saturday, November 05, 2005

PC speak

I had an interesting discussion with two friends about the use of such un-PC words and phrases as “the wife” and “retarded.” The conversation took an interesting turn near the end as to whether it’s effective to actively confront racially/gender/homosexually-insensitive people or whether such confrontation is futile. There were two points in the conversation that caught my interest. The first was how such sanitized, PC language is impinging on modes of expression. The second point was about the oversensitivity of people who, like myself, have very little to be sensitive about. I shall tackle the second point first.

As a middle-class, white, Anglo-Saxon protestant, I have very little to complain about. Demographically speaking, everyone listens to me and, unless you count last week when someone cut in front of me in the McDonald’s line, I have very little to complain about. Contrast that with the slavery in Africa and Brazil, the violence and suppression of women in the Middle East and my picture gets even rosier, if not guilty. But it does no good to get offended on behalf of another group. If someone says something racially insensitive, I don’t need to act like the gatekeeper of political correctness, saying, “listen, mulatto isn’t right; the correct term is bi-racial,” as if somehow I have a right to impose society’s new standards on an unknowing bystander. People love to play this role, like some leftover school hallway monitor and it’s completely ineffective at stunting racism. The only thing this type of confrontation will do is to put up walls. Of course, this doesn’t cover extremes and it doesn’t cover people who belong to the race or category of the offending comment but there are enough things out there to be offended by; we middle-classers don’t all need to be so easily offended. --Side note: Just to be sure, I find racial slurs and those who propogate racism and hate crimes morally reprehensible.

Now, what I do find truly offensive is the sanitation of language. English draws upon many etymological sources, and we still rely on pop culture and the literati to coin new words and phrases for us. It’s a beautiful language and although its ambiguities often frustrate new learners of the language, these ambiguities provide richness and subtext to many stories, poems and song lyrics. That said, we don’t need to dumb our language down by imposing ridiculous standards, by succumbing to robotic language parameters designed not to offend and by constantly second-guessing ourselves. As Steve Carell’s character on The Office learned, we don’t want to ignore racial differences, we want to celebrate diversity.

I could go into detailed examples, but no doubt I’ll offend someone. This is my point: unless you belong to the group being offended, don’t take offence. My second point: unless it helps language in some fundamental way, or unless it actually protects and prevents against the furtherance of prejudice (and we have to be honest with ourselves here), we should curb our PC speech. In it, we find the bastardization of a language I’m just barely getting to know. I could go so much deeper than this, but I’ll leave it at that.

5 Comments:

Blogger LTA said...

I agree, Myke. What's so strange to me is that the former bastions of free speech-our universities-are the very places where strict speech codes are being adopted and enforced. In our universities it's okay to call for the extermination of white people, but watch out if you want to start a Christian group on campus that wants to study the Bible. In fact, the Bible is evidently considered hate literature in Canada (see http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/
article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=31080).

The First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution was ratified to protect speech-even(especially?)when it is offensive. The problem is that efforts to purge "hate" speech from our lexicon effectively sanitizes thought.

I absolutely agree with your point about being offended too easily. Who hasn't been offended? But, now we see interest groups whose sole purpose is to perpetuate their own existence by exploiting the perceived grievances of groups they purport to represent.

I think people need to quit taking themselves too seriously.

BTW, good post, bro.

11:49 PM  
Blogger LTA said...

Shortly after I posted my comment I happened upon this post by Dr. Sanity.

http://drsanity.blogspot.com/2005/11/intellectual-and-moral-bankruptcy-of.html

It explains in greater detail some of the things I touched on in my post. You should check it out if you have time (it's rather long).

12:33 AM  
Blogger Myke said...

Hey Larry,

I tried to open your first link, but I was again met with failure. I don't know where in Canada the Bible is considered hate lit. but from my experience that would only be fringe groups. I could better address that point if I saw the link, but I think you and I are largely on the same page, otherwise.

Our Charter of Rights and Freedoms offers us the following:

a) freedom of conscience and religion;
b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;
c) freedom of peaceful assembly; and
d) freedom of association

(among other things). I think Canadian lawyer Eddie Greenspan put it best, when talking about purging hate speech, by saying that it's ineffective and wrong to stop people and institutions from promoting hate. Rather, Greenspan claims its best to expose these ideas to the light of day, then to trump them with better ideas. I couldn't agree more.

If it's as long as you say, then I will happily read your Dr. Sanity article a bit later. Thanks for your comments.

8:05 AM  
Blogger LTA said...

Check this out, Myke.

Today, Canada is combing through its laws and institutions to remove evidence of heterosexist discrimination. Terms such as husband and wife are now forbidden across the spectrum of Canadian law and government programs. The legal meaning of parenthood is being transformed, with consequences no one can predict.

Henry says Canadian schools are becoming battlegrounds. "Children will have to be taught about homosexual acts in health class, as they now are about heterosexual acts. Books that promote same-sex marriage are being introduced in some elementary schools. In one action, complainants have demanded 'positive queer role models' across the whole curriculum. If parents complain, they'll be branded as homophobes." Sound farfetched? People who disagree with same-sex marriage risk charges of hate speech. In British Columbia, teacher Chris Kempling has been found guilty -- and disciplined -- for defending male-female marriage in newspaper opinion pieces. Henry himself has been hauled before the Alberta Human Rights Tribunal for promoting traditional marriage in his pastoral letters. "The human rights tribunals have become like thought police," he says. "In Canada, you can now use the coercive powers of the state to silence opposition."

http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/5711527.html

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I take offense to your article!

Zok.

6:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home