Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Go NBC!



I can’t say enough good things about NBC’s The Office. It is a fine example of quality writing, good characters and awkwardly funny scenarios. Over the course of its one and a half seasons, Dara and I have followed the show and its cast with great enthusiasm. Despite the genius comedic timing of the show’s leading funny man, Steve Carell (particularly his interaction with Rainn Wilson’s Dwight Schrute character), Dara and I have taken to calling this show simply, Jim & Pam after the show’s burgeoning but not mawkish love story. (lucky for Dara, Pam's Jenna Fischer is already married.)

Rounding out the Tuesday lineup is Law & Order. This show couldn’t be any more different from The Office in tone and content, and yet I love it equally. Unlike the CSI franchise, Dick Wolf’s Law & Order shows don’t exaggerate the cinematographic budget proportionate to the ratings. L&O has stayed focused despite its immense success. With a revolving door of characters (including the late Jerry Orbach), this show is more about the legal process than about who’s playing the lead role. I’m a big fan of the Special Victims Unit variant, but I do love watching Sam Waterston parry and thrust with attorneys and judges in their legal patois. Very interesting show.

And if you enjoy the macabre, check this site out.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you like the Gilmour girls? It has excellent script writing too... sort of like The Office in that respect!

6:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NBC's the office? C'mon Myke, the British version is ten times funnier and you didn't even mention it.

Oh, and by the way, Mawkish? Who uses that word? I mean really? I'm not kidding.

Thanks,
The Wookie

6:44 AM  
Blogger Myke said...

I like the word mawkish, so at least one person uses that word. Keep watching, I'm even going to find a use for the word antepenultimate in an upcoming post. I don't know how, but I will, Wookie!

As for the BBC version, I still haven't seen it. I have nothing against it because I haven't seen it, so how could I comment on it. Huh? HUH? Listen, you wookie bastard, I'm watching you.

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home