Wednesday, November 30, 2005

How Far Can You Pee?


My friend Pasquale* called me up today under the guise of a regular catch-up chat. This “friend” turned acquaintance, turning nemesis uses each conversation as a platform for his latest and greatest deeds and adventures and has no real interest in talking except to perpetuate his reputation. Each conversation is a commercial for his success. And it’s no obvious statement he makes. Instead each phrase is carefully laced with a boastful note; a sad attempt at subtlety. This almost makes it worse because you can almost picture him straining to fortify each sentence with a juicy accomplishment, while at the same time trying to maintain an undertone of real conversation.

“Yeah bro, I don’t think I’m going to be able to make it to your wedding. I have a photo shoot that day, I think. But I’ll totally let you know. Or my agent will.”


No, ‘congratulations on the wedding,’ just the subtext of self-perceived glory. This guy turns everything into a pissing contest and it’s not like he isn’t successful, it’s just that I don’t give a damn. There was a time when I liked him; when he asked a question about my life and he actually cared about the anwer. That’s what makes it all so sad; that, and the fact that he has to inject each exchange with some steroidal esteem booster. Let the deeds speak for themselves and get the hell over yourself.

*Some names have been altered to protect the individual’s identity. Also, he’s not really my friend. He’s more of a jerk.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I know who it is you speak of... because we've had that discussion before.

Now, if you measure success as the ability to write shitty, uninventive, flat out boring music (that's been done a million and half times already no less), then yeah he's successful.

I think the reason he constantly slips his acheivements in wherever possible, is because he knows he sucks... and he really needs to try convince himself that he doesn't.

Honestly... how hard is it to make money when you follow a formula.

Sorry for the rant, crappy music aggravates me... especially when the people who write it think they're good cuz yuppies, who know little about, music give them praise.

Anyway, I'll finish this up by saying you're too good a person to waste your time on people like that.

Zok

4:46 PM  
Blogger LTA said...

...about 5 feet.

10:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can do anything you can do better!!
YES, I CAN!

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, I believe it's "anything you can do, I can do better," while my correction of your post proves quite the opposite. Thus, anything you can do, I can do better.

4:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's time for a new blog item. Get on it!

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home