Friday, February 16, 2007

Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but....?

Look at these pictures. Tell me, do they look like the pictures of a fraudulent marriage, or the photos of a long-standing relationship built on love? These are (some of) the pictures we gave to the government during our greencard interview. We also had some older pictures from a time when I was 40 lbs lighter and had a head full of hair. In addition, we provided as many documents we could provide, the sum total of which was apparently not enough to satisfy the officer that we are truly married. While in the waiting room, we saw people with obvious weight, age and racial differences. Not that these relationships were false, but some of them certainly appeared to be.

Now I’m aware of at least three “greencard marriages,” one of which is even comprised of a gay male and female couple. All three of t
hese couples breezed through the greencard process without any problems. As a legitimate relationship, Dara and I were not able to surmount even this simple obstacle. And I was confident: I mean, this was basically an oral test on a subject for which I am the world’s foremost expert (my relationship with Dara). And yet I failed. Or seemed to. I’ll keep you posted on our progress.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dayray said...

We obviously have been together a long long time. I wish the Officer could see that
I love you and that's all that matters.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Lori said...

This response is long overdue, but I have been busy with life, and I have just finished a book that has left me feeling... pecular to say the least. I seem to have lost interest in the Internet. I know... doesn't seem possible. But Alas!

Matt is excellent. He is happy (or so he tells me) and he is an electrician's apprentice which means that after he gets his papers, he's probably going to make more money than me. He's not playing for/with anyone right now, but him and Randy and Pete are still really close and they visit regularly.



Did they actually say that your relationship was fraudulent? That's ridiculous! Who forges christmas-morning-in-pajamas-pictures? They might have believed you if you had those 4-minute photo booth pictures... you know, the ones that you can choose the blue or orange curtain for the backdrop? Try that next time.

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home