Thursday, June 22, 2006

Oh Canada...


Today, Wikipedia’s feature article was on a favourite (yes, that’s how I spell it) subject of mine: Canada! Lately, I feel like I’ve been doing a lot of defending of my little 10 million km2 (that’s 3.9 sq mi) parcel of land that’s “all tucked away down there” as Homer Simpson so deftly put it. But while my American friends may not agree on some of the cultural differences, here are a few points of interest that may grab Canada’s southern neighbours (yes, that’s how I spell it):

Canada finished the World War II with one of the largest militaries in the world.


Canada is one of the world's wealthiest nations, a member of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) and Group of Eight (G8).

Canada is a free market economy with slightly more government intervention than the United States, but much less than most European nations.

Canada has traditionally had a lower per capita gross domestic product (GDP) than its southern neighbour (whereas wealth has been more equally divided), but higher than the large western European economies. For the past decade, after a period of turbulence, the Canadian economy has been growing rapidly with low unemployment and large government surpluses on the federal level. Today Canada closely resembles the U.S. in its market-oriented economic system, pattern of production, and high living standards.


Canada is one of the few developed nations that is a net exporter of energy.

Adult literacy is 99%

Since 2001, Canada has successfully avoided economic recession and has maintained the best overall economic performance in the G8.

Oh Canada, we stand on guard for thee….

3 Comments:

Blogger LTA said...

Do I detect a little "true patriot love" for your "home and native land"?

Some think patriotism is quaint. I think you should be proud of Canada. It's a great country.

12:27 AM  
Blogger Myke said...

I don't think Patriotism is a bad thing, but I do think Nationalism can be dangerous (just look at unilateral bodies like Iran and North Korea, which act independantly of the world community). I think Canada and the U.S. are both great nations which have been a force for good for the world, but I would never advocate blind devotion to either country. That said, I think intense pride in your homeland is nothing but a good thing. Does that make sense?

Props to you for quoting some of the anthem, Mr. Lar.

"Oh say can that star-spangled banner yet wave..."

8:45 AM  
Blogger LTA said...

I totally agree. In fact, I was reading a good article last night on that very subject, praising, of all nations, Germany for having a healthy patriotism, and contrasting that with the nationalism that led them to commit atrocities and wage world war during the last century. If I have time I'll post on it.

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home