Monday, December 19, 2005

Do you hear what I hear?

There's something special about Christmas carols which really usher in the spirit of the season. There are some terrible ones ("I saw three ships...", for example), but there are some really solid carols out there. I think it has something to do with how old the songs are; most have seen at least 150 Christmases. I think classic composers had a better sense of melody and counterpoint. They really captured the spirit of the songs they wrote. Case in point: the most recent carol on my list was written in 1962 with one song going as far back as 1707.

The other thing I'll say about these songs is that you don't fully appreciate them until the refrain. Or sometimes the bridge. But once that refrain hits, the beauty of the song and the way it flows together manifests. I defy you to hum any of the following ten songs without smiling after at least the second verse. G'head, try it.

Myke Harrison’s Top-ten list of favourite Christmas songs:

10) Silent Night (1818)
9) What Child is this? (1865)
8) Carol of the Bells (1936)
7) God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen (1833)
6) Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas (1943)
5) Oh Little Town of Bethlehem (1868)
4) Hark the Herald Angels Sing (1707- 1788)
3) Do you hear what I hear? (1962)
2) Oh Come, All Ye Faithful (1751)
1) Oh Holy Night (1847)

These songs are so beautiful. I envy such gifts as the composers had who wrote them.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm actually not a very big fan of carols.

Maybe it's the familiarity of the songs that I find boring, but they just don't appeal to me. I honestly don't know if they ever did... I can't really remember, but they don't seem to now.

It's funny, Christmas carols are often lauded for the emotion or spirit (or something to that effect) that they carry... I find them sterile. I don't know, they just don't seem to conjure anything up, and I'm forced to wonder wether or not any song, if appointed to the season, would receive just as much love as the songs on that list.

Are they loved because people really love them, or are they loved because they are so deeply associated with a holiday that means so much to so many?

I don't know, they just don't seem to do it for me.

5:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, I kinda like #6 on your list... so omit that one from the last post I made. ;)

6:15 AM  
Blogger Myke said...

#6? Oh come on, man! That's weak. Just run through some of them in your head- the whole way through. Throw in some nice arrangements, and they end up beautiful.

Okay, I'll do you one better. I'll send you my version of "Oh Holy Night" which I'm working on. If you're not at least intrigued by the song, if not moved, then you win.

9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a big fan of old christmas music too. I hate Celine Dion or Mariah singing christmas songs...it makes me sick!

I also like Christmas light...so beautiful!!

1:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah man, send that shit over.

I'm sure you'll breathe some life into it, but I still don't know if it'll really do it for me.

If I like it I'll let you know though... it's not like I have some vendetta against carols, I just don't think much of them as I know them.

And yeah, get your ass on msn a little more often... haven't spoken to you in what seems like forever.

4:58 PM  
Blogger Myke said...

I'm working on it. I'll be online more after Christmas is over, methinks. I'll try to get that song to you, too.

12:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool!

12:32 PM  
Blogger Myke said...

I can't believe someone who likes classical music (such as yourself) can't appreciate music that was put together by Mendelssohn (Hark the Harold), Chopin, Brahms, and (naturally) Tchaikovsky (Nutcracker). You're a strange fellow, Mr. Zoran.

5:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not really that I can't appreciate it as much as it doesn't really pluck at the right strings... so to speak.

I get the feeling that these were the songs that didn't cut it so they chucked 'em in the Christmas collection. They probably figured they could get nice royalties if Aretha belted out a tune or two every holiday season.

Maybe I'm way off, but I'm pretty sure that's how carols came to be.

5:31 AM  
Blogger Myke said...

Considering the average age of a carol is 150 years old, I'm thinking Aretha wasn't in the picture. Or royalties, the way we know them today. Sucka.

Oh, and Dara's here, so I won't be talking for a while, but have yourself a merry little Christmas; let your heart be light. From now on, our troubles will be out of sight... Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Well, I gotta run- my chestnuts are roasting on an open fire.

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

... They don't get jokes in California do they?

Anyway, you probably won't read this anytime soon, but have a rockin' good Christmas too man, and if you read this, say hi to Dara and all.

6:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home