Sunday, January 01, 2006

Tabula Rasa



Dara and I have been together five years and we’ve spent only 2.5 New Year’s Eves together. I say half because one of the times she was really sick and we did nothing, and I just took care of her. So that one doesn’t really count.

I hate how cliché it’s become to make a New Year’s Resolution and then to break it; so much so, I always avoid the pitfall and embarrassment of ever mentioning a resolution. Still, I understand the reflective nature of this time of year and the seasonal tendency to view January 1 as a clean slate. It’s very John Locke.

In that tradition, and despite my aversion to the practice, I am going to make a New Year’s resolution for 2006 and every year afterward: I am never going to spend another New Year’s Eve away from Dara. The awkward twelve o’clock moment inevitably finds me kissing my hand (or, that one lonely year: a dog). This tradition of being apart is getting older than Dick Clark, and once we’re married you can count on Dara and I ringing in the New Year in every time zone.

5 Comments:

Blogger Dayray said...

Amen!

Love you!

7:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, that's such a lovely resolution... you guys are so lovely.

I never really cared much for the whole New Years thing myself... it's all just another Wednesday to me, but in the spirit of being in the spirit, I'll join in on the fun and think up some sort of resolution... I just don't know what it will be. I'll get back to you on that.

5:17 AM  
Blogger Myke said...

You should resolve to be awesome. What a great resolution.

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah that would be a really great resolution... but how the hell do you follow through with that... specially if you're me.

Does taking a dump on the resident office douche-bags chair count as a resolution?

6:18 PM  
Blogger Myke said...

Yes that definitely counts as a resolution.

10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home