Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The job so far

A few people have been asking me about my first week at my new job, so I thought I'd be lazy and direct them here, where I can reach a wider audience. I'll still keep it brief, and may repeat some parts, but here's how it's going so far:

My week started inauspiciously, when I missed my connecting flight. This put me on the landing strip about three hours before my orientation began. So that first day, I went sans sleep. Incidentally, this way probably better than the alternative, which would have had me landing on Sunday night, sleeping, and then trying to acclimatize to the new time zone.

So the first day of new-hire orientation was pretty straightforward. Probably the strangest thing about this day was that Dara--the girl who's as afraid of driving as I am of flying--drove me to training. Twice! The second day of orientation went until 1:30, then I hopped on the subway to go down to the new office.

I got down to Deloitte (11th floor on the Brookfield Place), and met a bunch of people. This early into the job process, there's not much to say other than:

1) the office is a labyrinth. At this point, I can find the kitchen, the IT department, my desk, and the bathroom (which I can call a washroom again!) The office is very pro-environment (recycling bins is a no-brainer, but also biodegradable cutlery, and reports printed on both sides of the paper... weird).

2) I probably can't talk too much about the report I'm working on, but let's just say the scope is quite a bit larger than what I worked on at my last company.

3) I've had every lunch this week provided for me, which I'm not used to, but was convenient.

4) The simplest things, like setting up voicemail, faxing, setting up signatures, are more complex in big companies (at least this one). But, there are also many efficiencies that are very interesting to note.

This is my first time working at a big company. For many out there, it's old hat, but I've found it interesting. By my nature, I'm not comfortable in new situations, meeting new people. But I've also pushed beyond my roots, and I constantly shake things up, so that I haven't been 'comfortable' in a while. But I think it's good. It can take you to new places.

So this is my new place now.

Sorry if this seems scattered. I'm watching SVU while typing. Sam Waterston is better as the ADA; he's just not political.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cherbear said...

Great to hear about how things are going with you Myke. I hope this job ends up being a huge blessing for you and that the people treat you nice.

7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home