Sunday, February 24, 2008

My Oscar Predictions

I'm running out of time to get these down before they become simply, My Oscar Dictions. So here goes:

Best Director:

Should win: Coen Bros.
Will win: Coen Bros.

Supporting Actress:

Expected to win: Tilda Swinton (why???)
Will win: Cate Blanchett (voters love stunt casting.)

Supporting Actor:

Should win: Javier Bardem
Will win: Javier Bardem. I should note, however, that Tom Wilkinson is a stunning actor who needs recognition. But he will not define "Michael Clayton," the way Javier's image will forever be associated with "No Country." I get chills just thinking about his terrifying performance.

Best Actress:

Favored to win: Julie Christie
My choice: Ellen Page. "Juno" would not have been the fabulous success it was without her. Her sarcastic charm quite simply made that movie. Plus I'm tired of Oscars going to actors who portray mental disease, as is the case with Christie.

Best Actor:

Favored to win: Daniel Day Lewis
Will win: Daniel Day Lewis. I don't think anyone doubts this one.

Best Picture:

Favored to win: No Country for Old Men
Will win: No Country for Old Men. I'm at a disadvantage here, having not seen "There Will Be Blood," (despite my best efforts), which seems like it's more of a 'best movie' film. However, "No Country" was brilliant, sparsely peppered with music, rich landscapes, a compelling story, and a likely best-director win for the Coen Bros. I'd put my money on "Country."

2 Comments:

Blogger Dayray said...

I think your predictions are great! Sorry we didn't get to see all the movie nominated. Sarah Polley is on tv right now. There are lots of Canadian fans on the red carpet apparently. Go Canada!!

4:56 PM  
Blogger Myke said...

I got a few right, and a few wrong. But I was pretty close this year. What do I win?

8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home